Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tryouts. Team Bonding.

Tryouts: a word that makes me cringe. It equals the worst time of the year for me because I have to make the decision on what girls continue to play the game they love and which girls are not given the opporutnity to participate any longer. The question usually isn't their talent to play the game. The question that really determines if the athletes are good enough to make the team is their attitude, team chemistry, work ethic and their ablility to follow directions. I think that athletes often believe that I like making cuts. Let's set that record straight. I wish I had 4 teams so that I wouldn't have to cut anyone and everyone could make a team. I know that athletes would still be distressed that they didn't make the team they wanted, but they'd be able to still play.

At the end, after speaking with the girls, I go out and try to enjoyed a mega scoop of ice cream at DQ. Then it's time to start dreaming about what my team will be capable of doing. The teams this year are unique. After spending a day bonding at the YWAM High Ropes course, they found out that they're really capable of doing great things. Many girls conquered fears as they worked their way through the course and when they were done their were only a few moments of disagreement throughout the day. They learned to work together and help each other out and I hope that they learned that with the help of their team that they can accomplish unimaginable goals.

What did I learn? Peer pressure can make you do things that you wouldn't normally be willing to try. I came back from lunch and it was time for the girls to scale a tree that 110 feet tall. The guides told me it would be good if I made myself do this part with the girls and so I agreed. I'll admit that half way up the tree, I was thinking that I'd have like to stop. My arms were burning and my head was saying, YIKES. But I kept climbing because the girls were cheering me on from below. When I made it to the top, I looked across the valley and could see the city from a bird's eye view. I tied my goal on the branch with the others who had made it to the top and then climbed back down to the bottom. The last 40 feet was fun to repel to the bottom but when I was done. My arms ached, my knees were scraped and I was tired but I'd made it to the top and that's what it was all about. Making it to the top and accomplishing the goal.

Adios for now.

No comments: